November 4, 2009

Casual Affair

The Words:

absurd, love, friendship, beauty, whimsical, chocolate, daffodils, affair, loneliness, want, desire

**

And then there was the spring of daffodils, where she and I would whimsically waste afternoons over absurd notions. Propped up on an elbow she would talk, on and on, about desires and wants. About love and friendship. About chocolate and loneliness.

"Do you think, Andre, that you'll find the things you find beautiful today still beautiful 20 years from now?"

"Well, that depends."

"Well, take... this meadow. Will it still be beautiful to you 20 years from now if it were to remain unchanged?"

"But nothing remains unchanged."

"But what if it did?"

"Then you and I would never leave this moment."

"But I am talking about beauty, Andre. Will I still be beautiful to you in 20 years?"

"That depends."

"On MY beauty?"

"No. On my perception of it."

"How flattering."

She laid her head on my chest, quietly breathing with me.

"Andre?"

"Mmm?"

"What are we?"

"A casual affair."

She laughed like the wind was born to carry it far and wide.

No comments: