November 6, 2009

Every Inch

The Words:

palette, koi pond, turkey, yellow, micromanage, toucan, scissors, lollipop, dirt, sunshine, heirloom

**

You would think koi ponds were the norm around here, but no. They don't have heirlooms hanging on the walls, nor a particularly picky palette when it comes to clothes. In fact, they might have generalized everything. Sunshine might mean yellow. Dirt, brown. But what do I know?

I was sitting at a "Toucan's Cafe," wondering the mundane sort of wondering people do. Like, should I get turkey or chicken? But I was alone, and I was allowed to be voicelessly boring, and I was doing just that until a pair of toddlers come waddling over to my knees.

My first thought was to pull out my scissors and cut the strand of loose yarn hanging from one of their sweaters. Things like that bug me. My second thought was to take the lollipops out of their sticky hands and replace them with carrots. I am sure as a child, candy was marvelous. But right now, it was plain nuisance. They were both staring at me, eyes wide and mischevious.

Before I could smile, the mother came rushing, ushering them away, kindly bowing an apology and returning my privacy. There was now a fingerprint on my pants. Without resisting myself, I pulled out my instant stain remover and rubbed it gone.

Yes, it true. I do micromange my life.

Every inch.

No comments: