November 7, 2009

Unmatched

The Words:

bird, truck, cloud, chair, glue, bandage, chocolate, orange, door, bed, golf

**

Some people are like things. Simple, and definite, as easily placed as a chair in the sixth slot of a dining table. As sure as birds disappearing into a cloud, as promising as finding a truck on a road. And when you flip through photographs, they have the same face, the same glued-on smile staring back, perhaps a bandage to some deep, raw mess. Or maybe they think "chocolate" when they pose.

But the day the orange came into my hand instead of my usual apple, and the door had been missing to shut, and my mother left my bed unmade, I realized that even things were uncertain.

A golf ball has one, tiny, unmatched shape on the surface.

But no one looks.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I really like this one. I wish you would carry on the story, for goodness sake! I'm becoming grumpy with all the untold tales being cut off right when they've begun!
**grumbles happily**