November 3, 2009

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall...

The Words:

pink, monkey, funny, bubble-shooter, dangerous, mirror, gum, bacteria, tacos, waves, spicy

**

"Story! Story! Story!"

There were 5 children jumping up and down in monkey patterned pj's on my daughter's pink bed. I might as well advise you now: NEVER have a sleepover of five year olds. Dangerous business.

"Story! Story! Story! Story!"

I shut the bedroom door and raised my arms, "Alright princesses... settle down... sit! ALL of you!"

It's a miracle what tone of voice does to little humans.

"Now, Marla, spit out your gum. And Katie, let's get that wand put away. Andie, no more bubbles... the bubble-shooter doesn't belong IN the house... Gracie, stop biting your nails... you're eating bacteria!"

They all busied themselves for a moment, reluctantly obeying my stern orders. When they were all sitting on the bed again, I started their demanded for story.

"A frog and a turtle lived near the shore of a HUGE lake. Like all friends do, Frog and Turtle were arguing."

"Why does it have to be Frog and Turtle? Why can't they have names?"

Cheeky, funny little May.

"Oh? Alright, name them!"

"Freddie the Frog!" yelled one.

"Todd the Turtle!" yelled another.

"So be it... Freddie the Frog and Todd the Turtle were arguing about the lake. Todd liked waves, and Freddie didn't. So they wer--"

"This story is BORING." My daughter said. The nerve.

"Yeahhhh!" the others chimed in.

I wasn't surprised. It was just like this with the tacos I had made... one girl claimed it spicy, they all agreed and left half of it on their plates. Was I like this when I was five?

"Tell us a story about mirrors and dragons and princes and sword fights!"

"Yeah!"

I stood up, went to the bookshelf, pulled out Snow White and handed it to my lovely, miss-know-it-all daughter.

"Here you go Birthday Girl! Read it for all of us!"

She looked down at the book, rubbed her eye and said,

"I think I am tired now Mommy."

Who's the fairest one of all?

No comments: